Sunday, May 6, 2012

Half marathon? Check.

Wake up at 4am to run a half marathon? Yes, please :)!!!
The shirts all the runners got
Just for you guys, I put my blog title on there ;) ANNNDD my favorite number (14) was part of my bib number, how awesome is that??!!!
Free tattoo for the race :)

I was so excited when I woke up this morning! It didn't help that I was woken up in the middle of the night by my neighbors who were partying and being obnoxiously loud but I managed.

My friends, Lia and Michelle, and I walked towards the starting line and there were SOOOO many people (about 35,000 I think??)!!!! You could definitely feel the runner energy going on! We kind of hopped the fence (and by kind of, I mean we did) and got into the second wave. It said 2:00hrs for the half, which I'm assuming is pretty fast because everyone passed by me by the 8th mile.

At the start line, we had to stand there for about 10 minutes and I kept getting more and more excited. And then... we counted down and we started jogging! Everyone was packed together so it was funny seeing everyone jog in place but after that, we had some of the greatest views of Cincinnati :) It was beautiful and I was like a little kid at Disneyland. 1) I was super excited that we got to run in the middle of highways and across bridges (I mean, come on, how many times can you do that??!!), 2) the sun was rising so I just kept enjoying the view during my run (while everyone was speeding by me), but most of all.. the best part were the people. There were so many families and strangers cheering everyone on and giving high 5's. It definitely got me through the entire half marathon. I was getting discouraged because everyone was passing by me.

I was actually getting frustrated because it seemed like NO ONE was stopping to walk. I was like, "Come on, people! I know your legs are just as tired as mine! Stop making me look bad!!" Even worse was that a bunch of 60 yrs olds were flying by me while I walked or stretched.. not a good feeling. But then, people were cheering all the runners on and it got me so pumped. Plus, seeing everyone else continue running while you're the only one walking kind of motivates you to get off your butt and start running. Overall, the course was great, I expected the hills to be much worse than they were so at least I trained myself harder on that part...

At the end, they give you a medal and a bunch of yummy delicious snacks, definitely pigged out :)!
Look at the cute little pig!! Such a cute medal.
This was an awesome experience and I can't wait to run another one :) All right, now I'm going to try and get some feeling back in my legs...


P.S. Thank you to all the AMAZING people who believed in me and have been so supportive/encouraging while I was training for this :) Your positive words were in my thoughts throughout the race when I felt like I couldn't run anymore!

No comments:

Post a Comment