Sunday, January 22, 2012

Baking cookies with instant oatmeal?

Yes, you heard right!! 1) I've never baked cookies.. ever! 2) I never even tried oatmeal until 2 summers ago when I went camping with one of my friends. It was just this weird vomit-looking thing for me that I never wanted to try.

Anyway, since I'm training for my half marathon, one of the things on my "list of things to eat" is eating oatmeal so I bought a huge box of instant oatmeal. I only ate one packet and already got tired of it so I thought.. how do I get rid of this? There must be some way to bake with this, right?? Thank you, Google. Here's the recipe I stole. Trust me, if I can do this, so can you :)

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 c white sugar
  • 1/2 c brown sugar
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 c butter, softened
  • 1 tbsp milk
  • 1 egg
  • 6 packets flavored instant oatmeal
  • 1 c flour
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients except flour and oatmeal packets. Stir in flour and oatmeal packets. (The mixture will be sticky due to the milk. If you prefer crisp cookies to chewy ones, eliminate the milk. If you like your cookies chewy and cakey, add an extra tablespoon of milk.)

Roll dough into 1 1/2" balls and drop onto an ungreased cookie sheet, about 2" apart. Smash the balls down to a thickness of about half an inch.

Bake until light brown, about ten minutes. Allow to cool on cookie sheet briefly, then remove to a rack to finish cooling.

Success!!!! AND they're actually quite delicious :)

1 comment:

  1. i will definitely try it! because i have leftover oatmeal that i never had time to eat! =D

    ReplyDelete