Thursday, September 30, 2010

I was made for grad school

.. it IS only week 2, so get back to me at the end of this quarter (if I make it)

Remember in undergrad when you went to all your classes, even when you had the flu and made everyone in class sick? Remember when you spent all day and all night reading to get ahead and people would still get the same grade as you for showing up to class once? Remember when people had their laptops all around you to Facebook? Maybe you don't.. maybe you're the person I hated in college haha! No, seriously..

Grad school is different. Yes, it's "GRAD SCHOOL," but I love everything about it. I love that the people I'm surrounded with are hard working, focused, and driven. I love that lectures from all of my classes are posted online but everyone still shows up. Everyone uses their laptops to actually take notes. People answer and have discussions in class, instead of awkward silences. Class sizes are small. Professors are ridiculously hilarious; I've never laughed so much in one class as I have in all of my 4 years of undergrad class. Professors give you this extra pressure to do well, but it's good pressure.. I felt so challenged that I whipped out 2 papers in 1 day, compared to taking, literally, an entire day to finish 1 at UCI.


Yes, I'm going to complain about the ten 40-60 pg. articles I have to read for all of my 5 classes each week, while pulling out 2 papers a week out of my butt. Yes, I wish I didn't have to wake up at 7am every day to unsuccessfully catch up to all the readings. Yes, I'll probably die of exhaustion by the end of this quarter. Yes, I'll question and doubt my decision to go to grad school. But at the end of the day, I'm lucky enough to go to grad school, while others are financially struggling to even go to college. So, I'm grateful for every moment of it!

3 comments:

  1. Lydie! It seems as though I wrote this myself! I'm on the same page as you and appreciating every single little thing about grad school. I love it, and I love your blog =) Let's keep loving school 8)

    ReplyDelete
  2. bABEHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.........im glad u love it .. :) I know dont u feel like all grown up hehehe being in grad school lol.. :) it feels good even though we most probably will graduate with not a good job but still :) im happy u love it

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying grad-school! I have a love-hate relationship with it. I love that (most of) everyone share the same values and engage in passionate discussions. I love the focus and I love the amazing learning environment. However, I hate all the work I have to do, but it will be worth it in the end! Stay focused and stay awesome!
    -Amanda Ng

    ReplyDelete