I can cross this off my list!!! Just went to the shooting range and it was SOOOOO much fun! I didn't realize how loud guns sounded! It was definitely scary listening to everyone else shoot in the beginning. This random person had this huge rifle machine gun looking thing that was SUPER loud. Thought I was going to go deaf! I couldn't get used to the sound, even towards the end I was still flinching. My body kept jumping at every shot. And then.. the big moment came.
I went with my friend, Michelle, who's in my cohort and other older PhD students were there, whom I knew as well. I was not expecting the director of my program to be there but I didn't want to back out just because I found out he was going too (I didn't want to embarrass myself in front of him). Anyway, he volunteered for us to use his guns first, I think one was .22 and the other was .45.. whatever that means. I definitely was shocked at how light the guns were and how easy it was just to pull the trigger. The recoils on his guns weren't as powerful so I preferred using his. I used my other friends' but my hands started hurting. Too powerful for me!!!! Even my friend's tiny little gun had a lot of kick to it.
But I guess I must be a natural (oh yeah, watch out James Bond) cause I kept shooting the middle of the target... I think? The director of my program was making sure my arm wasn't going to go crazy from the recoil so he stood by me the first time but I didn't even need his help at all. He kept telling me how good I was doing. Although... he may have said that just to keep me calm so I wouldn't accidentally shoot everywhere. Anyway, I'm still proud of myself. Guess all those dreams and times I've imagined having to pick up a gun and shoot killers who were after me paid out after all... :)
Well, now that my stress is relieved.. back to studying stats.
Don't worry, I'm not going to buy a gun and go shooting every weekend now or something.
No comments:
Post a Comment