I am SO happy!!! I can now once again, be a proud UCI alumni.. Well, a semi-proud one with all the other crap that's going on. But for once, justice has prevailed.
It has taken about 6 months now for UCI's Office of Student Conduct to "finish their investigations" and "come up with a decision", but I don't want to focus on how long it took them right now. I was so afraid that they'd side with Jesse because of his position as student regent, but they didn't.. they didn't!!!!
Yes, that's right UCI FOUND JESSE CHENG GUILTY OF SEXUAL BATTERY. Yes, that's right.. GUILTY.. G-U-I-L-T-Y. GUILTY. Read my lips, he.. is.. I mean, read my words, he.. is.. GUILTY!
For those of you who were too blind to see the truth, too wrapped up in his background as an activist that you were fooled to believe the truth.. let me just say that there is no worse punishment than for you to look at yourselves and realize that you were siding with such an evil human being. Some of you may be going through some cognitive dissonance and may STILL be in denial and make up some wild justifications not to believe it... or you may say, "But Lyds, I still can't believe it" or "Lyds, you gotta understand, I couldn't believe you, he's so nice! He does so much for students, he's so involved, blablabla.."
It doesn't F***ing matter.. get it out of your head that a potential rapist is someone who wears dirty clothes, looks scary, and is waiting for you in a dark alley.. it can be ANYONE.
Facts:
- 2/3 assaults are committed by someone known to the victim.
- Every 2 minutes, someone in the U.S. is sexually assaulted.
- 17.7 million American women have been the victim of attempted or completed rape
Even if you say, "Well, how could I believe you? They dropped the charges, there was not enough evidence. I know him, I don't know who your friend is.." How many cases have you heard of where charges are dropped because there's not "enough" evidence?? Hundreds? Thousands? More like hundreds of thousands.. Just because the DA dropped the charges doesn't mean he was innocent, there just wasn't enough for the DA to possibly win the case so she dropped it. Listen to yourself.. why would a victim come out, and let alone against Jesse Cheng, and accuse him of such things if it was a lie!??! Do you really think this is the kind of attention someone would want? "Hey guys, I'm a crazy ex, I'm really upset that Jesse broke up with me so let me make up this story about him almost raping me.." Are you F***ing out of your mind?????
I sincerely hope that this has opened your eyes. I hope that you never, EVER have to go through what my friend has been through. I hope that no one ever blames you for being a victim. I hope no one sides with your attacker just because you were in a relationship with him/her. I hope that no one ever tries to take advantage of your body. I hope your closest friend never goes through this and you have to hear other people tell you "Sorry, I just.. really can't support you because he/she's an awesome person." I hope that you never have to cry yourself to sleep wondering IF justice will prevail. I hope you've learned that victims don't come out about these attacks because of reactions such as yours, thus perpetuating the code of silence among victims. I hope you've learned that victims coming out with their stories is one of the most courageous things anyone could ever do. I hope that if a victim confides in you, you don't turn away. I hope you never stay up at night wondering if your attacker will or will not get justice.
Most of all, I hope you don't continue being blind about sexual assaults and educate yourselves a little bit...
To those of you who believed me from the start, who supported me all the way through.. thank you. A little thank you isn't enough to show you how much it meant to me to have your emotional support and prayers, but I'll say it anyway.. thank you! Justice has prevailed and my friend is so grateful for all the support she's gotten from people, even though she probably will never meet any of y'all. Thank you.. you guys are the best :)
No comments:
Post a Comment